Thursday, September 2, 2010

Why Ask Why?

I read an awesome quote on Lysa Terkeurst's devotional that has really stuck with me over the past few weeks. She writes some amazing things that have truly blessed me since coming across her website.
Her quote I'm referring to is:

"Asking why is perfectly normal. Asking why isn’t unspiritual. However, if asking this question pushes us farther from God rather than drawing us closer to Him, it is the wrong question."

It is so easy to want to ask why in almost every situation of every day.
Why did I have to hit every red light when I'm running late already?!
Why did I pick the only lane to stop moving!?
Why aren't I pregnant yet?
Why do my neighbors have to be so loud?
Why do I have to experience this ....?
Why, why, why?

I think of questions like that constantly through out most of my days but reading Lysa's quote really made me re-evaluate what exactly I'm asking. Am I questioning God's plan? Now I don't necessarily think that God purposely put me in a slow moving lane but then again he sure can use it to build my patience and character. That's what I've come to try and think every time I'm tempted to throw up my hands with a "why" question. I consciously force myself to think - I can't see the reason, but I know God has one and can use this situation as annoying as it is for good somehow. And then I trust.

Some days it's harder than others and then I play a little game. I start thinking of all the possible positives of why I could be in the current situation I am lamenting over. Maybe I'm in this slow lane because if I had been in the fast one I would have run over a nail and popped my tire. Maybe I'm in this slow lane at the grocery because this checker really needs someone to say hello to them and give them a friendly smile and I'm the person for the job. Maybe I'm not pregnant yet because there are things that God wants me to do and people to help first that for some reason I wouldn't be able to do as well if I were pregnant already.

These might, and very well might not, be reasons to go with the situations. No matter what though I am trusting that there is a reason for each situation no matter how big or small. Sometimes this game makes me feel better, other times I just feel plain annoyed over a situation. In every situation, however, I try to remember to pray and focus on the fact that God has a plan for every specific little thing that happens in my day and that he can use every little detail for his glory and to grow my character.

“‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’” declares the Lord. ‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.’” -Isaiah 55:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment