Monday, July 12, 2010

Having Plenty and in Need

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. -Philippians 4:12-13

In this season of my life (namely getting settled into living here in Portland) I feel as though God has blessed me with more than enough. I would definitely say it is a season of living in plenty in so many areas. We have met so many wonderful people and made so many new friends here (as well as even reconnected with old friends!) in the short span of a month and a half that we've been here. I really do not even have words to express how thankful I feel everyday being here. I feel as though the past four years of prayer, sweat, blood, and tears have all led us to rooting ourselves here in Portland. I have a peace about being here that only comes from God and it is just truly amazing and exhilarating. I thank God everyday for the little things and big things that he has been blessing us with daily.

It's even more amazing that this season of being in plenty also comes during a time of our biggest need as well. We are having to trust God with our finances more than ever before and in every area. We calculated out what Derek makes and it comes to well below minimum wage and will continue to be that way for the next 5 years. We also will have to begin paying his medical school loans back starting next month. But God is good and has given us a peace and has been providing daily for us. I feel very positive about it and know this is also a time that God is teaching me even more about relying on him and trusting in him. He will provide for us and I must trust and hope in him no matter what.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? -Matthew 6:25-27

It is crazy how some of the hardest times in life coincide with some of the most blessed times. I am learning daily how to lean even more on God for strength and I feel so blessed to be able to trust in a God who is good. I have been filled with so much joy lately, and that sure helps to take away most feelings of worry!

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. -Romans 15:13

1 comment:

  1. Awesome and inspiring. I love you! Praying for you a lot.

    ReplyDelete